Friday, August 20, 2010

Freeze-Part 3


I am not much of a believer in coincidence, but every now and then it bangs so loudly at the door it cannot be ignored. I have shared the stories of how our family freezes grapes and peaches, and received a beautiful email from a reader asking a clarifying question or two. Towards the end of the email she slid in how she spends half the year in Antarctica.

Now in a saloon, you might quietly slide down to the other side of the bar, but I 'm intrigued. Apsley Cherry Garrard's "The Worst Journey in the World" his book about the time spent on Scott's fatal expedition to the South Pole is one of my all time favorite books.

So we have passed emails over the week, and I came across a story about things other people freeze.

Seems Ernest Shackleton left behind a stash of Scotch Whisky in his hut when he abandoned his trek to the Pole. "Scientists" in the name of "research" recovered a case of Charles Mackinlay & Co's best from Shackleton's camp, and hightailed it to New Zealand, where they are "testing" the whisky to see if it is any good, all in the name of science.



In my wildest nightmares I can't imagine than any distiller, of any potent potable would be interested in cold storing their wares for 100 years, so the practical aspect is lost on me . The Kiwi's plan to return the leftovers to Shackleton's camp when the party, I mean research is complete.

The tent photo above is actually Scott's. If memory serves, there is a pretty good cellar there too awaiting "research". My correspondent has stayed there, and calls it one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Toad

1 comment:

Mrs. Blandings said...

You meet the most interesting people on line.