Tuesday, August 10, 2010

From Southern Weddings

For the record I am not the male version of the evening radio DJ Delilah, although I am partial to a good love story every now and then. I've proven my bonafides on these pages with some regularity. Today's story however is pure cut and paste from the Southern Weddings blog. I hope you enjoy it.

Real South Carolina Wedding: Ruth + Jerry

This might just be my favorite real wedding we've featured on Southern Weddings. Ever. Andy of Donnan Photo submitted his grandmother's -- yep, grandmother's -- adorable wedding, and we had no choice but to feature it. As Andy says in the little write-up we asked him to send in, "It's comforting to know that you can be in love at any age." Check below for even more from this adorable, intimate, and joyful wedding (and check out a few more photos on Andy's blog!).

Ruth and Jerry's video:

Ruth & Jerry from Andy Donnan on Vimeo.

From Andy, the grandson and photographer:

"When I head that my grandmother was going to get married after just a few months of meeting Jerry, all of us were a bit worried, but what can you really do? She's happier than ever before and there's no way any of us were going to stand in the way of that. It's clear that they are in love and I'm proud of them for doing it right, even in their 80's.

She then said that they wanted to have a tiny ceremony, which ended up being on Tuesday at the church they both went to at some point in their life. I basically gave her no choice but told her I had to be at their wedding. After I showed her the photographs, she was thrilled that I was there to witness and record the event. Both of our families are very grateful for that.

My girlfriend and I arrived at the chapel about 45 minutes prior to the ceremony. We greeted Ruth and Jerry, who were sitting in the pew with the rings, flowers, and each other. We all waited for the pastor to arrive, and then an intimate wedding took place with just the five of us in the room.

I asked Jerry to hold the rings in the palm of his hand. I was amazed at how steady he could hold them, despite being nervous before the wedding. It was actually cute to see the both of them nervous! It's comforting to know that you can be in love at any age.

After the ceremony, it was cute to watch Jerry carefully assist his new bride outside of the chapel, where I had them stand for just a few images before they drove off in his Buick."


Toad


12 comments:

Karena said...

Toad,
This is just too adorable and as the saying goes" it is never to late" .....to find love again!

Karena
Art by Karena

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

thank you Toad for sharing this.

SouthernProletariat said...

That is wonderful. Thank you.

Suburban Princess said...

This is such a nice post! Thank you!

Patsy said...

Oh, that was wonderful!

Kim said...

I saw this the other day....I stalk that blog since I'll have to throw a couple weddings sometime in the next few years. Adorable.

Kathy said...

In this age of excess / over-the-top / over done.........perfection! Younger brides and grooms should take notice.

Toad said...

The only sadness came when the bride realized she hadn't married Warren Buffet

JMW said...

True love. Wonderful story. :)

North of 25A said...

Lovely!

Andrea Kent said...

At 78, after burying her second husband, my beloved mother-in-law fell in love again. She married a man who was somewhat older but nonetheless full of energy, and showed her the time of her life for twelve years--dining, dancing, traveling, sports. It was a real love story, and it was not adorable. Our elders may be shorter and weaker than we are, but they have the same feelings we do. As my mother used to say, our generation did not invent love, sex, and passion.

Toad said...

Andrea, not adorable?