Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mindset list Part 2


Yesterday's post on the Beloit Mindset list offered a number of cultural milestones separating those paying (adults) from those consuming (their children). It occurs to me though we missed something important.

Suburban Princess, does it. So will Legally Blonde Mel of I Pick Pretty All parents do it when their children are young. You just forgot.

Remember how you would spell things to each other, so that the kids wouldn't know what you were talking about? Secretly, you cursed when the kids learned to read.

Our kids aren't dolts, they are just unlearned.

If the kids can't write, and/or presumably read cursive, that's good news for us. We can go back to leaving secret messages to each other, upfront, on display on the kitchen counter where they belong. In cursive.

Toad

8 comments:

Shelley said...

That was a shock to read as one of the insults here in Britain has to do with not being able to do 'joined up writing'. My parents had handwriting drills as part of their education, but this was not part of mine, though of course we learned cursive. My Grandmother had to spell words in front of her dog: B-A-T-H, not the kids.

Suburban Princess said...

LOL We have to spell words in front of the Little Prince AND the Furry Prince!

Suburban Princess said...

Oh and this is reason 643 we will be homeschooling.

Patsy said...

When my stepson was a teenager, you could have written a note on his face and he wouldn't have noticed.

Out Of A Bandbox said...

I'll be homeschooling too for the same reasons. Glad to know I'm not alone!

David said...

I remember learning to write in cursive, but I don't think I ever have. Now its the sort of thing that really stands out. Mike, one of my oldest friends, has the most beautiful cursive handwriting. Stops me every time I see it.

Town and Country House said...

I remember being on a car trip when our oldest who must've been six (now 18) had just figured out that my husband was spelling McDonald's to see if we should stop. From that point on, we began referring to the Golden Arches as "a little Scottish place," or "Mr. Kroc's establishment." We still call it that, but, thankfully, no one wants to stop there anymore!

Gwennie said...

My eight year old looked at a grocery list I made in cursive, and then informed me I forgot to add cereal. He can read my writing now, because he strarted learning it last year in second grade. Maybe there is hope for the future.