Monday, April 19, 2010

In preparation for summer

In Mayberry, cream soda is red. Don't judge me, I don't make the stuff. You gotta roll with what ya know.

When we were kids, as a rare summer treat, my mother would get what passed for a 2 litre bottle of Vess Cream Soda and a half gallon of vanilla ice cream and made ice cream floats.

My dad didn't like root beer, so I wasn't to learn of root beer floats until much later. When I did learn, I accepted the superiority of root beer as a convert accepts his new faith, forsaking all others.

So Mrs. T returned from the grocery yesterday with the old "give this a try. Let me know what you think", says she.



As soon as I come up for air, I'll let her know. In the mean time stock up. Works great as a stand alone, or in floats.



Toad

6 comments:

Pearl & Tassel said...

good lord...my question is...why didn't anyone think of this sooner?

Martha said...

I'm sure you'll not find it on the prairie -- ours runs to the tried and true flavors. But I'll look for it -- as a child we only had root beer at the stands -- we never had floats -- too expensive -- those were made at home!!!! With any and all flavors!

Suburban Princess said...

I dont know that I have ever had a root beer float - I have always had Coke floats so now I will need to try a root beer one!

Cream soda comes in pink and ecru here :O)

teaorwine said...

As a young person, my grandmother always prepared a "Black Cow" for each of us children while visiting her over the summer. Scoops of vanilla ice cream smothered with root beer served with a straw and an iced tea spoon. Mmmm... good.

house things said...

Sounds good. Really good.

Paul said...

Oh MY! I'm such an ice cream junky! And this just might send me over the edge - you are just as evil as I!

Just this afternoon I bought French Vanilla and Orange Sherbet to make CREAMSICLES!