Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Perhaps an explanation is in order

In a word I freaked. I looked up summer was over, and I had spent too much time in front of a keyboard, and too little time doing what needed doing. I needed a break and didn't know it.


Many years ago, an advice columnist in Esquire recommended that you spend more time with your dog than your ISP. I took his teachings to heart. One Saturday night I told myself that we have had a good run, but its over. I erased the blog, erased my favorite blog file from my bookmarks turned off the computer and didn't turn it on again for two weeks. I was startled to find I had two extra hours of daylight per day.


Eventually, like a Christian in Lent I allowed myself to peek at the computer on Sunday afternoons. I didn't read blogs but I did a bit of shopping. To those who sent emails, I apologize. At the time I didn't really understand why I had to stop, and was reluctant to face your questions and disappointment.


What I eventually came to discover, was how much I missed being with you each day. I know my limitations as a writer, but I can and do, enjoy sharing our stories.


I've you have read this far blame Maxminimus. He spearheaded the campaign for my return. I will be in his debt for a long time.


Surprisingly, I still haven't read more than a blog entry or two in the past 6 weeks so I have some catching up to do. Thank goodness for Reader.


Thank you for your support, and for hanging around. I'll try not to disappoint, although it may take a couple of days to get back to normal. I've discovered that if I'm online at night I have still have lots of daylight per day.


In the mean time, Mrs. T and I are going to NOLA. We have been looking forward to and dreading this trip for several months. NOLA is a dangerous place to dread going to. I'll share the story next week.


See ya next Tuesday.


Toad

28 comments:

ADG said...

Toad...I here you my friend. I have so many other demands with work and parenting that I'm forced to not become too obsessed with the blogosphere. But indeed, it's easy to do. I work hard to maintain balance in all things but it's an ongoing struggle-I would posit that there are worse things to suck your time than this.

As long as those who depend on us in our personal realm aren't suffering-then I've rationalized that this is a good place to spend time.

Have fun in NOLA.

ADG

ELS said...

ADG suggested I come over and say hello - how do you do? We haven't met, but I have heard lots about you and look forward very much to catching up. I frequently have Peter Mayle on my nightstand.

Vive la difference

ELS

Barima said...

If it wasn't for ADG, I'd still be concerned for your wellbeing. Good to have you back and hope that you survive NOLA

B

M.Lane said...

Great to see you back! I'm headed to NOLA myself this week...

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

I just signed on as an official "follower," but I've been a fan for some time. I'm so glad you're back! What a fan club you've developed. I look forward to the continued conversation.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Darling Toad. It just never felt quite right when you were gone.

TWA said...

Thank you for returning Toad. I was just catching onto you blog right before your departure and am so glad you have returned to us and even more glad to see all the same good things are here. However I did love the picture in the previous header (maybe you could post it sometime) but it always good to change. We look forward to your return

tintarosa said...

Welcome back!

JAM said...

Your absence was a singularity in the ever expanding universe of the internet.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back online and coming back to NOLA, T.

Stop in for that shave this time at Aiden Gill! There's one on Magazine Street and a satellite downtown on the Harrah's shopping venue, Fulton Street.

DAM said...

Welcome Back! You were missed. And what an awesome time to head back to New Orleans as the ride the wave of a season start 7-0 for the Who Dats!

Who Dat!

LPC said...

Well hullo. Stopping by to see what all the hubbub is about. Welcome back.

tintin said...

Sometimes, for me, it's a little like listening to the same Joe Jackson song over and over. At first you can't get enough. Then it gets old. The your stomach gets upset. And you take a break and after a while you're able to listen to it again.

Charles said...

How's your driveway?

Anonymous said...

Dear Toad,
While not a blogger but I am a fan of yours and Herr ADG - thank you for a pleasureable part of my week, a true delight to follow - all the very best from across the pond!

Gail, northern California said...

Oh, Toad. Once again I'll share my morning coffee with a dear friend. Don't be so hard on yourself, life's too short for that sort of thing.

Toad said...

Thanks to all. Let us agree the last word has now been said about this and we shall go on. A bit of housekeeping and catching up will take place prior to the 10th.

Martha said...

Glad to see you back -- you were a must read every morning!

DAG said...

Welcome back! Along with Maxminimus and Richard over at WASP 101, you always helped me close my day.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

It's just nice to know you're here. Welcome back.

nanc said...

So glad you're back.

Greenhouse said...

Glad you're back online!

Pigtown*Design said...

Delighted you've returned!

Summer is a Verb said...

I have shared that fantasy on occassion as well, most esp during this past summer. The beach has that kind of hold on me. But, alas, the friendships and indeed the attention out weigh my fleeting need to escape it all. Happy you have returned to the fold lost sheep, with a swanky new header to boot...XXOO

Patsy said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're back!

katiedid said...

I know exactly what you mean.....but Soooo glad to have you back! I think I will be going to the dog park a bit more often.

Anonymous said...

I know it is a bit late, but welcome back. Your blog has been, and will continue to be, a welcome break from the rigors of work.

Erica

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see you are back! I share Erica sentiments that your blog is a welcome break from work!

Susan