Friday, November 13, 2009

More questions




When, or more importantly why, did it become necessary to tell a man to remove his hat once he was inside a restaurant, or in a home, or at the table? Is this a regional thing somewhere? Where, I want to avoid going there?

My sainted mother would have knocked me into next week if I ever tried it. I know, in my heart of hearts, she would gladly and quickly rise from her grave today just to kick my backside if I pulled a stunt like that.

2. I suspect women are smarter than this, but I have been re-reading a number of old magazines lately. Ancient issues of Esquire, GQ, stuff that passed for gospel in my 20's and 30's.

I suspect the management of most magazines figure they have a reader for 3 or 4 years, before they outgrow it and move on. Recycling stories is mothers milk for them. Re-reading them has been a true revelation. Was I really that vapid?

I suspect women's magazines are just as bad. Imagine if you will, taking advice today from one of the mags for new moms. Stuff you believed was vital then, you wouldn't give a second look at today. You know better.

Oddly, old shelter magazines are rather fun.

3. I'm dating myself here, but where did all the Pink Elephants of days gone by go, and cukoo clocks?

Toad

7 comments:

Martha said...

A pet peeve of mine is baseball caps -- men wear them - men never remove them -- anywhere!

Kathy said...

Love the self-portrait.

Brian said...

I may be guilty of wearing a baseball cap indoors but never at the dinner table. As for the cukoo clocks I know my parents and there friends have them. i seem to remeber mom picking hers up on vacation. I've never considered getting one though.

Toad said...

Brian: I have never considered buying one either. In my youth they were a staple in the homes of most GI's stationed in Europe after the war. I haven't seen one in years though.

ADG said...

Toad...the best early holiday gift in the world is having you back in the fold.

ADG

David said...

I think they mention removing hats because of ball caps. Men who wear proper hats generally know to take them off, but there's a whole generation (if not two) of men (not including Brian) who think it's perfectly fine to leave a ball cap on from morning till night.

Robert Grundulis said...

My wife recently hosted a party for the ladies in her choir.

One of these ladies brought her boyfriend along and he kept his hat on all night. It was one of those strange striped trilby affairs you tend to see at the likes of H&M. He was starting to get a little freaked out by my dirty looks as the night progressed.

To be fair, his hat wasn't the worst thing about him. He was wearing a blazer and tie, on bare skin. It made me shudder.