Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Blue Suit

The Little Black Dress is a staple in women's closets. It can be dressed up, it can be dressed down, but it is always appropriate. In many parts of the US black is ubiquitous. Not so much in Mayberry, but perhaps in your community.

Somehow though, unless your name is George Clooney, black just doesn't cut it for men.

When you think black, what comes to mind? Funeral directors, mafia hit men? Both necessary occupations, but sartorially not much to build on. Men simply do not have the accessories to pull black off well. If you're honest with yourself, you will admit that black tie sounds like a good idea, but few pull it off with aplomb, James Bond not withstanding.

So what's the male equivalent of the LBD? Navy Blue.

Looks good on almost everyone. A navy Tux radiates. The unstated purpose of the tux is to be neutral, to make the woman on your arm look better. You can't do that in a suit that washes out in all but the brightest light. Navy makes the LBD look even bettter.



It works casually in linen or poplin.

Paired with a simple white shirt, and solid tie its a neutral.








Smarten up the shirt, add some color, simple accessories and it suddenly becomes very elegant, in a Cary Grant kind of way.



Proof that any schlub looks better in a simple navy blue suit.
Toad
Photos
Life Magazine Archives
wre Images
Sartorialist

5 comments:

Katy McIntyre said...

My favorite pic is the last one. That gentleman looks dashing.

longwing said...

Yep, I like the last one also.

I've tended toward gray simply because my navy suits always used to look filthy, but you've got me thinking.

Keith said...

These are some great photos. It's hard for me to pick a favorite.

Barima said...

I'm heartily approve. My favourite suits are blue, and I've been rather critical of my own obsession with blue trousers. This year and last have been all about bringing more variety to my wardrobe, but I fret less over suit colours because I can appreciate what works on me. It works well for you too

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I never thought about it really, sad to say, but you are so correct. A navy suit looks much more suave. All your examples are fabulous. Now I'm switching from a gray suit fan to navy.