Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Man in the White Suit.




I'm married to a woman with no unexpressed opinions. She hates it. How much? She has asked to be forewarned before its appearance so that she can make other plans. She's thinking Airplane, I'm thinking 'Big Daddy". The lower orders have Boss Hogg in mind.

What am I talking about? The white suit, of course.






It's still too cold to bring it out in public, but I did try it on, and take a few turns around the manse. I'm going to like it. It's my first linen suit, I like the wrinkles and rumples. I do not have to make excuses for my slovenly appearance. I like it so much I recently purchased another linen suit. This time in a "natural" tone. Two button, side vents. It's at the tailors.




Also, finally the BB mongrel shirt showed up. I got the idea from Tom Wolfe's tribute to Clay Felker. The Felkers were neighbors to my father in law while he was growing up. Clay is the man who made Tom Wolfe famous.

The shirt is Oxford cloth button down, white collar and french cuffs. Other Toadisms include, no front pocket, placket buttons and side back pleats. The buttons are a bit better than standard BB wares, and the tails seem longer, but I haven't compared. It gets its first public airing later this evening.






Hopefully, soon the weather gods will shine, and the streets of Mayberry will become a bit more dapper.


Toad












15 comments:

longwing said...

Looks good. Sorry about the wife. Maybe you should take her to New Orleans. Let her get used to it there where it's semi-normal.

Anonymous said...

White suit photo is quite dapper I must say and there's something casually elegant/classic about a linen or poplin suit in the summer time . . . so enjoy your outing.

ADG said...

Stronger than new rope! Excellent rig Toad. I love how Tom wolfe describes meeting Felker and determining from the get-go that he was bespoken head to toe.

Onward.

Martha said...

White suits are dapper IMO -- and so summery. And the shirt is perfect with the suit.

Dickie said...

Amazing. You recall a day when evenings were passed on the porch, lemonade served in mason jars and fans still cooled the house on hot summer days.

Now, how on earth do you keep it clean?

EsseQuamVideri said...

I love a good debut, myself! Very dapper!

Toad said...

Thank you all. I have little intention of keeping it clean. I decided that I could either be the man with a white suit, or the man in the white suit. I think i'll make it my uniform.

Legallyblondemel said...

Tom Wolfe! White linen suits! So much to enjoy here. Hope the missus eventually sees it that way!

Katy McIntyre said...

I love the suit! I'll work on her. :)

kathleen said...

Looks fantastic, if you ask me. I like your glasses, too.

Toad said...

Kathleen the glasses are another bone of contention. Naturally, I like, someone else doesn't. I wear them.

Giuseppe said...

Sharp.

Mrs. G. Puts up with alot of my flamboyant peacockery, too. But she doesn't mind, because I usually wind up staining or ripping the stuff by the third wearing,clumsy oaf that I am, so we're even , or something.

The shirt, by the way, is outrageous. I shouldn't like it, but I just can't help myself.

Barima said...

Nothing more to add other than my admiration for a stylish suit

Summer is a Verb said...

I love all things white including that suit my friend.

Rechelle said...

Fabulous!