Friday, June 5, 2009

Loves and hates

Buddy ADG, had a recent post castigating a fellow congregant for his poor choice of scent. We all have a love it list and a hate it list. I'll share my loves and hates for boys and girls. Feel free to add your two cents worth.

MEN:
I'm kinda old school, and rarely wear anything. I tend to feel that I am just the frame for the lovely arm candy by my side. When I do wear anything its Caswell and Massey #6. Allegedly, George Washington's fav.




My dad wore a couple of old standards and I still have strong scent memories of his favorites, Skin Bracer and Old Spice. Beyond those 3, men's fragrances are lost on me.

I do have a list of men's hates though, including :
All of Ralph's catalog.
Remember English Leather? Do they still sell it? I kinda liked the lime though.
Most designer scents.


Women's
Some scents just push all the right buttons. I guess that is what they are for.

Ralph's "Lauren" tops all my lists. She had me with one whiff.
"Joy" An oldie but.....

Dislikes
Is anything worse than Estee Lauder's "Beautiful"?

So chime in. Teach me something new. What else should be avoided, sought out?

Toad

12 comments:

Martha said...

We're definitely Estee Lauder -- but not the new stuff -- I wear youthdew -- and have ever since I got my first job -- and that is all that I wear. Husband wears Aramis also by Estee Lauder.

I used to go to the Estee Lauder counter and my only decision was which size (for Youth Dew was their only fragrance) -- now they have a plethora of different fragrances to chose from.

IMO, that is not good!

E said...

I have to say I like my husband in Chrome, and my summer favorite is Carolin Herrara's 212, and winter favorite is Donna Karen's Cashmire Mist.

ADG said...

Memorable line from Silence of the Lambs. Dr. Lecter to Clarice Sterling....."You use Evian skin cream, and sometimes you wear L'Air du Temps, but not today."

Kathy said...

Toad, love the "just the frame for the lovely arm candy by my side" line. I also love Chanel #19, followed by #5. I must admit to an occasional Beautiful habit. The perfume, though, not the mist stuff.

My "man-frame" is old school like you and is scent free. Used to like the English Leather, glad he doesn't anymore. We both hated the Dominican Bay Rum swill his mother used to buy him. Ugh. J. Peterman still sells it.

Toad said...

I'd forgotten the Bay Rum. That was awful.

Gail, northern California said...

Spare me from sandlewood and patchouli oil. I gag with both.

I just want my guy to smell clean -- no phou-phou necessary.

Anonymous said...

Even my 3 kids (14, 11, 9) swoon at my signature perfume, "Caleche" by Hermes.
Other than that Chanel "No. 5" is another standby.

Chanel's "Cristalle" and "No. 13" were my college go-tos.
Chanel's "Coco" and "Cabochard" by Parfum Gres were my post-college spritzes.

Absolutely SWOON at Dior's "Dolce Vita", now that I'm reminded, I may have to get a bottle stat.

Cannot resist swiping my wrist with the occasional magazine sampler of "Prada"....would not buy it, though. "Opium" and "Fendi" have the same intoxicating draw, when I used to pass a perfume counter would always inhale deeply at their spot.......

Dislikes.....anything by a celebrity.....just wrong and on principal would not consider. So take that (!!!)

Fun post, Toad!! WI Reader/Fan

Mrs. Blandings said...

Jo Malone's Orange Blossom is the most delicious scent. I can't get enough.

Toad said...

We were in Jo's store in London several years ago. I was hopeful something would go over. Mrs. T left running.

Summer is a Verb said...

You already know where my loyalty lies Toad. Lauren every fall/winter and Chanel Cristalle every spring/summer. And, the absolute worse is Giorgio. Ick. Nope, strike that, FAKE drugstore Gorgio. The pits.

Mom on the Run said...

I sprayed Lauren on the other day when I was in Ulta. It brought back memories of the Kappa house c.1982. That was the only smell in the air.

DOTR still loves his Polo green. He bought two different scents in London at Truefitt & Hill--Clubman and 1805. Now that definitely brings back some good memories.

I'm partial to RL Safari (retired) and my all time favorite is Estee Lauder Private Collection. So old it has no accessories (lotions, potions, etc.) but a classic. I've worn that since college.

This reminds me to get a new bottle of Lauren, especially after that walk down memory lane the other day.

Pigtown-Design said...

Penhaligon's Quercus. Clear, clean and fresh. And of course, my beloved I Coloniali.