Friday, February 15, 2013

Egg Custard


To get a jump on Spring my bride and I have redoubled our efforts at the gym and have been paying attention to calorie our input/output ratio.  One of us is also a keen eyed WW point counter.  Sometimes however you just need a break

I try to surprise my bride periodically, mostly just to see if I still can.  Yesterday, I surprised by making Baked Custard  (from The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes) for dessert.  I only screwed once, it was a big screw up, but I overcame it.  I think it was a hit.  It's incredibly easy to make, and you have all the ingredients at hand.  Here's how to make it.

Makes 3 cups (6 servings)

3 large eggs, slightly beaten or 3/4 cup egg substitute --this were I went wrong
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups fat free milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of ground cinnamon

Preheat over to 325 F

In a large bowl combine eggs, sugar, salt and nutmeg.  Slowly stir in milk and vanilla.

Pour 1/2 cup of custard into each of 6  5 oz. custard cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Set filled custard cups on a shallow pan.  Pour about 1 inch of hot water in the pan around the custard cups.

Bake on center rack of the over for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the custard comes out clean.

Serve hot, warm, cold......
per serving: 82 calories/3 gm of fat/ 6gm of protein/ 8 gm of carbs

Do as I say, not as I did.
To keep it healthy I used egg substitute and powdered milk.  Where I went wrong was not looking at the fake egg carton.  I used egg whites only.  For custard you need yolks. I knew that then, I know that now.  The second batch turned out much better.

Toad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

toad, do the tops crust over in the oven or do you need to torch them like a brulee?

Toad said...

the cinnamon after sitting in the custard and baking tends to caramelize. I didn't, only for not thinking of it, torch the tops.

Anonymous said...

I could eat egg custard 3 times a day and still want more. Probably my all time favorite. What a delicious reward for time spent at the gym.

-F

Shelley said...

Looks lovely, Toad. I found a Dukan recipe book at a thrift shop yesterday for £1.50. I have no intention of following his diet, but I thought the recipes looked interesting, so plan to try a few.