Friday, June 3, 2011

It sounded like a good idea at the time

Not long after Christmas, taking advantage of a J Peterman sale, I acquired 2 double breasted cotton twill jackets. One screaming yellow, the other Georgia Bulldog red. At the time they didn't fit well, but they didn't have to in January, besides my investment was minimal.

So now it is June, they do fit, but what was I to do with screaming yellow? It's a tad loud, and not in a good way. There is nothing subtle about this coat.

Double breasted jackets come with rules. Since they are more formal than singles, the shirt is expected to be more formal, hence no button downs, and look better with a tie. DB's must also be kept buttoned. An unbuttoned DB looks sloppy. When in doubt about how to wear DB take a gander at almost any photo of Prince Charles, he usually does it right, except when... I blame the wife.

So I have this formal jacket in an particularly unformal shade, in which I fully intend to break most of the rules while wearing. It's a summer jacket after all! For starters I had to turn the flavor down a few notches. Two days soaking in the pool worked like magic, and provided another opportunity for Mrs. T to counsel about how I took a perfectly good coat and now it looks 10 years old. That's how I knew the color was perfect.

Now the coat needs a bath to get the chlorine out, a good pressing, someone to stand straight while wearing it, and it's ready to go.

I've tried the same pool treatment on the red, it just won't fade. Currently it's hanging outside in the sun. I've no call for a Bulldog red coat, but I can visualize the faded hunting coat red it could be.

I've got time.

Toad

15 comments:

T said...

Probably not intentional, but hilarious nonetheless.

heavy tweed jacket said...

The yellow jacket is now purrfect. Amazing transformation. Perhaps the red one needs multiple pool and sun treatments. It may take time, but then, you said that you have that.

M.Lane said...

I was very close to buying the yellow one myself and now I wish I had. I just wasnt sure it would fit by now. As it turns out, it would not have. I love them both! Down where I live they would say these jackets "keep people from setting a pattern on you". A worthy goal.

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What do I know but I like how Charles looks with his jacket unbuttoned, I don't see anything "sloppy" there, but that's probably because there's some virtuoso tailoring going on throughout.

Comparing the photo of Charles in his jacket, with that of you in yours, I see one key difference: that Charles' jacket has some shape provided by light padding in the shoulders. Do you think you might like a little bit of a shoulder pad sewn in, everything would fall differently given that slight lift at the shoulder [buttoning optional but, heck, if Charles has started a trend, you might want to see if it works around Mayberry without too much heckling].

You look pretty FINE, mister.

Toad said...

For those in the need for a screaming yellow DB Peterman has a 44 available for $38.

http://www.jpeterman.com/Amalfi-Summer-Blazer

Flo,your idea is grand. The jacket will be at the alchemist this very day.

J.P. said...

I saw the same jacket and considered them. No tall sizes so I did not pull the trigger, although the brights concerned me too. Now that I see yours I am reconsidering.

Patsy said...

Very good! Looks like you've gone from screaming yellow to fighting lady yellow.

Shelley said...

Personally, I would say a bright yellow double breasted jacket broke a few rules all by itself...I'd be tempted to put a simple t-shirt under it, but that's just me. The pale yellow is an improvement, mind.

Anonymous said...

"I'd be tempted to put a simple t-shirt under it, but that's just me."

Shelley, I was thinking the SAME thing, and had even prompted google.images to see if I could discover a photo of that combo.

Anonymous said...

Under either of your summer jackets, how's this [pricey, but classic] option as an idea? [You will need a new hat, maybe.]

http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Sweaters/Nautical-Stripe-Sweater

Anonymous said...

"[You will need a new hat, maybe.]"

http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Accessories/J-Peterman-Panama

;-)

Gail, northern California said...

Whoa. Had to grab my sunglasses with that first photo. Lordy.
P.S. This post was hysterical. Loved it.

LPC said...

Well done, with the yellow, well done.

Scott Alexander said...

I'm enjoying both colors, but that yellow is absurdly wonderful. I've taken a turn for bright side this summer with mint green, lavender and salmon single-breasted blazers from Blair. The fabric quality isn't all that special, but with some tailoring I've found them to be spectacular.

I'll soon be writing about them on the Cable Knit Collegian, so you can have a look for yourself.

http://www.blair.com/product/Mens/Big-Tall-Sizes/Dress-Shirts-Suits/Touch-of-Linen-Sportcoat/pc/1/c/146/sc/192/2607.uts

http://www.blair.com/product/Clearance/Mens/Suits-Sportcoats/Touch-of-Linen-Sportcoat/pc/4/c/58/sc/64/2607.uts

LESLIE THOMPSON SCOTT said...

Ingenious and HILARIOUS! Bravo