Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Child's Christmas in Wales

Christmas is not my favorite holiday, it's Mrs. T's. I'm not quite Ebeneezer, but I'm easily put off the holiday by inconsequential things. To get me out of my pre-holiday funk, my bride sent me off to visit one of the mid level circles of hell- the mall- with instructions not to return until I shaped up. My heart and good thoughts go out to all who suffer to wait upon our every whim by working retail during this festive season. No one should be made to endure what retail clerks must.

Of course Mrs. T was right. I did come around and I am now enthused with the spirit of the holidays. Christmas isn't about the stuff, it's about memories. Finally, I'm learning to be mindful of the new holiday memories and traditions I create for my loved ones.

I am a sucker though for the memories of my youth. Readings of Dylan Thomas's A Child's Christmas in Wales along with Dicken's A Christmas Carol are essential. I hope you like Mr. Thomas's recitation.


Dylan Thomas - A Child's Christmas In Wales by poetictouch

Toad

1 comment:

Reggie Darling said...

Sir, do you read your comments? I believe the one above is spam...

Anyway, the Thomas reading of a Child's Christmas in Wales was a holiday tradition in my house as a lad, heard on the radio every year. I loved it as a boy, and I love it still. Thanks for bringing back that memory. Reggie