Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Reluctant Painter


My plate is already plenty full. If I wanted I could spend all day, every day, preparing for the holidays, but I'm too easily distracted and won't leave well enough alone.

I prefer my world, especially my playroom orderly, albeit scruffy. So long as I know where my toys are, I'm a happy boy. Everything in it is neat, tidy, in very good order, meets all my needs, and is comfortable. Something isn't right though. I don't care for the color.

Since converting this rarely used guest bedroom to my personal toy store, I've tried all kinds of tricks to liven it up. I've tried cork, I've tried a single bold colored accent wall (with and without cork), Although I learned the hard way about writing on walls, I even tried greenboard paint. I was uncertain what to do.

Then Little Augury came to my rescue. In a post long ago she wrote "Why not make a small room mysterious by wrapping it in a dark color.."

little augury photo

With many black walled room photos percolating in my head, yesterday I decided to paint the walls chalkboard black. It was a horrible use of my time, but I love how it has changed the room.

The top photo is a this wall before shot


Before, this wall is behind the desktop


Apres

Remaining 2 walls are Sunday's project

Bookshelves are on order to replace the bakers rack

Fearing the room would become oppressive all black, I'm taking it one wall it at a time, finding it looks great, then doing the next.

Toad

22 comments:

Shelley said...

The black certainly is dramatic! It sets off the things you have in the room beautifully. I suspect this will make you more particular about what you display, in itself not a bad thing. I wouldn't have the nerve to paint a whole room black, but you have quite a bit of white space on the wall and those gold curtains, so it might actually be do-able! That's such a brave thing to do, paint a room black. Then again, you can always paint it something else if you hate it. Good job you're energetic!

helen tilston said...

I love it so far and I believe you will make it look spectacular when finished

David V said...

If you do hate it and decide to repaint buy a lot of paint. You won't be able to cover black with 2 coats. I know this!

Living the life in The Little City said...

I very much like the look of dark paint. Great job. Keep going.

Anonymous said...

I adore black walls and this looks fantastic. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

I love it!

I'm inspired!

-Flo

LPC said...

Looks fantastic. As do you sir.

Linda McMullan said...

I LOVE this! It looks so chic. And to paint a room this close to Christmas is just pure-T bold.

Anonymous said...

Toad, the pic of you is spectacular. You look so distinguished, like a great writer or artist of days long past. Genuinely stylish. Love the hair...just long enough in the back without looking like Flusser who has let his hair grow too long...he's past the distinguished phase and is starting to look hippie.

As for the black walls...geez, the pic looks good but I've gotta tell you that I think all 4 walls are going to be overwhelming in black. Can't wait to see the finished product, though...please make sure you post the pics.

ADG said...

Gonna be strong when completed. Stronger than ...New Rope...Nine Rows of Spring Onions...Wolf pee.

Old Polo said...

I like the black too Toad. I just hope you aren't painting in the same duds that you were wearing in the picture of yersef! Ha! Are to "on order" bookshelves that replace the bakers rack white or natural or are they stained?
Wolf pee is STRONG!

Toad said...

Methinks Mrs. T is playing anon today. Thank you all for your encouragement. 3 walls done, the 4th is scaring me, but I figure it's just paint. If it's too much, I can always change it.

Toad said...

My desktop is unfinished heavily waxed birch, as will be the new shelves. I was told this morn to expect them in a day or so. Maybe for once everything will come together at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Grief, I just remembered!

If you're right-handed, I hope the sore shoulder is your left one. And vice versa. Otherwise your acupuncturist is going to clobber you for overworking a sore joint.

Nevertheless, I'm loving the idea of that 4th wall closing down the job. From my vantage point, your scheme is working because you have so many terrific pieces of framed-or-matted-in-light-colors art which never really pounced forward, hung on light colored walls as they were.

-Flo

Toad said...

Flo, thank you and I say this quietly, respectfully and hopefully, but my left shoulder has taken the cure.

After 2 sessions of crucifixition, the pain is gone, I've full range of motion in my shoulder and I'm back at the gym.

Anonymous said...

"After 2 sessions of crucifixition, the pain is gone, I've full range of motion in my shoulder and I'm back at the gym."

Jaysus Lord In Heaven, I absolutely bow down in front of your practitioner. I couldn't be happier, for BOTH of you.

-F

Gail, in northern California said...

Forget walls and paint, is that adoring mophead Ted The Wonder Dog?

I love it that Mrs. T kept the back of his head in the photo frame. ;-)

Mrs. Blandings said...

I love it! Courage! All will be well.

Toad said...

Yes Gail, that is Ted. His 15th bd is this week

Anonymous said...

Let's be sure and celebrate Ted on his birthday.

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

such a great portrait-I thought the post would be about a no show painter come to immortalize you in oil! consider it. With brilliant results like this-Christmas can wait, Go all the way. pgt

Gail, in northern California said...

Here's to Ted, The Wonder Dog. Happy Birthday, dear fellow.