Monday, September 6, 2010

Dahl Month and Day

Lest we forget, September is Roald Dahl month.



My first encounter with the master occurred in the mid 1990's. Penguin at the time published a number of pocket sized collections of short stories and poems called Penguin 60's,to celebrate their 60th anniversary. On a whim, I picked up Dahl, Barrie, Marquez, and Thoreau. I'd never heard of Dahl before then.

As I recall my first thought was what kind of name was Roald? The back cover said "Roald Dahl was born in Glamorgan in 1916 of Norwegian parents." Glamorgan didn't offer me many clues at the time.



My find, "Lamb to the Slaughter" is a collection of macabre short stories. My mother when she saw it asked why I didn't read his children's works? You know, James and Giant Peach, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Twits?

I did and was hooked, and have been ever since.

The Roald Dahl Museum has proclaimed September Roald Dahl month,to be celebrated by extensive readings of Dahl's books.

If you happen to be near London, next Sunday, September 12th, the museum has many special events to celebrate Dahl Day. (Dalh's bd is the 13th)

At least, click on the link on the first line. Someone has built an incredibly entertaining web site.

Toad

11 comments:

Shelley said...

I only discovered Roald because of his daughter's perfume ad. How sad is that?

North of 25A said...

Thank you! I do not really know his work (except for James and the Giant Peach). Also, love your new header.
Best,
Colleen

Rob Boddice said...

The BFG was my 'emerging from childhood' book. His autobiography is the stuff of Grimm. Great writer.
VB

SouthernProletariat said...

Ah yes! I have been (not so subtly) encouraging my oldest to read BFG for a while now simply so I can experience it through her eyes.

One more reason that September is one of my favorite months. And I love the header as well.

Suburban Princess said...

I must've been born just at the right time for Dahl to be required reading. Everyone in my age range knows his books as we all read them as children and they were a part of the curriculum. I wonder if they stopped that before the next generation.

One of my friends gave the little guy D is for Dahl for his 2nd birthday :O) I should crack it open!

LPC said...

For me, nothing will ever come close to James and the Giant Peach. I didn't know Roald Dahl even had a month:).

Town and Country House said...

I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a girl; my boys loved, loved, loved the BFG; and my daughter's favorite is Matilda. James and the Giant Peach is wonderful, too--those horrible aunts!

James said...

I always enjoyed sharing his books with my daughters. I am ashamed to admit I have not read his adult works. Thanks to you I will rectify that.

Toad said...

I've been seeking copies of his cookbooks, so-written with his last wife. Are they worth a look?

ADG said...

LFG and I've re-read James and the Giant Peach a zillion times. The first time we read it, I slowed down because I didn't want it to be over. Toad, you HAVE to read The Irregulars if you haven't.

Toad said...

I have read it, and enjoyed it.