Monday, November 24, 2008

Remember babysitting?


Remember how you disliked babysitting? Maybe not as a kid, but as an adult, watching your friends and neighbors kids? Especially, when you already had kids of your own and had some idea how it was done? Never really liked it did you?

Last weekend Mrs. T got a similar but as dreaded an offer. "Nana, wanna watch my dog next week, while my family and I go to Disney World?", asked our 9 year old grandson.
What ya got enough money to go, but not enough to afford a kennel. It is after all your 15th trip there.

So, early Sunday morning, the little beast shows up. Generally, I like dogs, this one, no. It is mean, destructive, and never a brow has been furrowed in thought concerning the most rudimentary training for this monster. Won't come, isn't housebroken, bites. Naturally, at its home, the sun rises and sets around this dog.

Wouldn't you know it too, it came with two single spaced typed pages of its needs and wants, which we lost before they were out of the driveway.

Fortunately, we have a trick up our sleeve and they know it. We put a leash on the beast, and pull the handle through Ted the Wonder Dog's collar, That way, Ted has to watch it, we know Ted won't run away, and the little beast is out of sight and out of mind.

God only knows how we'll have to make it up to Ted, but pay we will.

Toad

PS: Before you call the ASPCA, PETA or the sheriff be aware of two facts regarding this case.

1. Everyone involved knows that Mrs. T is dangerously allergic to many breeds of dog.
2. Although Mrs. T said yes, this naturally becomes my problem for a week. If you need me I'll be at home.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should really avoid posting cranky, self indulgent, mean-spirited postings like this (and this is not the only one!)....they reveal a not very appealing side...as a regular reader I do think you're better this...keep an eye on quality control, Toad!

ms. mindless said...

good luck with the bratty dog. next time, tell them to kennel the pup! your poor dog!

Renovation Therapy said...

Anonymous seems a tad, cranky.

At least the dog is cute, it's got that going for it. I think my sister has it's evil twin.

News Readin' Wife said...

Oh, Anonymous - some humor would do you a world of good.

I think Ted deserves a lovely petite filet for his good deeds.

Thanks for the laugh, Toad!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's amazing to see such different views on things. Just to answer your question - I love babysitting! I love it so much, that I have 2 kids of my own and I still babysit for other kids. There is good money in babysitting these days you know. Not like it's $100.00 per hour, but depending on the area you live in, it could be an easy $80-140+ per night. I agree that babysitting for free isn't as much fun. Your time is worth something. The next time you're asked to pet-sit, why don't you tell them what your hourly or daily charge is? At least you'll get something for your troubles.
Good Luck

Anonymous said...

Hello Toad,
As always, another good dog story.
This is cartoon worthy!

Ted, show that little upstart who's boss........!!

WI Fan

Toad said...

I think Anon and I are on the same page. I'll take into consideration with a kind heart her comments about my attitude. We'll both hope for the best.

prashant said...

..keep an eye on quality control,

Work from home India

kanishk said...

good luck with the bratty dog. next time, tell them to kennel the pup! your poor dog!

Wagyu Steaks